nenduwh jid guzitin declaration (nemiah declaration)
Let it be known that:
Within the Nemiah Aboriginal Wilderness Preserve:
- There shall be no commercial logging. Only local cutting of trees for our own needs. i.e.firewood, housing, fencing, native uses, etc.
- There shall be no mining or mining explorations.
- There shall be no commercial road building.
- All terrain vehicles and skidoos shall only be permitted for trapping purposes.
- There shall be no flooding or dam construction on Chilko, Taseko, and Tatlayoko Lakes.
- This is the spiritual and economic homeland of our people. We will continue in perpetuity:
- To have and exercise our traditional rights of hunting, fishing, trapping, gathering, and natural resources.
- To carry on our traditional ranching way of life.
- To practice our traditional native medicine, religion, sacred, and spiritual ways.
- That we are prepared to SHARE our Nemiah Aboriginal Wilderness Preserve with non-natives in the following ways:
- With our permission visitors may come and view and photograph our beautiful land.
- We will issue permits, subject to our conservation rules, for hunting and fishing within our Preserve.
- The respectful use of our Preserve by canoeists, hikers, light campers, and other visitors is encouraged subject to our system of permits.
- We are prepared to enforce and defend our Aboriginal rights in any way we are able.